Wednesday, August 22, 2012

More fun with placeholder art!

So awhile ago I announced Primordia, the next game we are publishing. It's unique in that I am not directly involved with production, aside from project management and dealing with the voiceovers. It's got the biggest team we've ever had on a single game - with a dedicated writer, artist, composer, and programmer. So it's been an interesting experience.

Since my involvement is so minimal, it often leaves me with large chunks of time where I'm not doing anything. So what to do with this extra time? Work on the next Blackwell game, of course.

It's slow going, because I don't work well when I'm constantly shifting gears, but it's definitely taking shape. I am tentatively calling it "Blackwell Epiphany" and like Deception before it, it's becoming the largest Blackwell game yet. No art assets exist for the game yet, but I am making some good headway using a combination of sketched backgrounds, MSpaint, and sprites from the previous game (which I will be replacing).

So while I can't reveal any details, I CAN reveal these lovely programmer art scenes that I've programmed!



The red bits are graffiti. That's how you know it's EDGY.


Tactile puzzle!


Mashup of photo and MSpaint.


If only I could get away with making games that look like this. My productivity rate would skyrocket. In any case, it feels really good to see Joey and Rosa up on my screen again.

-Dave

19 comments:

  1. Brilliant Insight, as always. I think after this release you should reveal some of your sales/profit data ;) As I'm developing a point and click adventure with nothing but beautiful blind faith. Do you usually program the game before the artwork? I never even thought of doing it this way. Brilliant...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Now, if you can manage to launch it on 6 January, it really would be an Epiphany!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've posted it already someplace else, but I love to repeat it here:

    Helluvan adventure season 2012/2013 ahead!

    And Epiphany will be part of it. Can't wait! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd play it like this! :D It would be an interesting experiment - we all know that story, writing and puzzles are the most important things in adventure games, but can they stand on their own, in the abstract vacuum of placeholder art? :)

    I can say from experience that a game with nice finished art, but palceholder writing and programming doesn't work at all. :)

    Also, it's great to finally see some graffiti and awful stairwells in a Blackwell game - New York without those things is not a proper New York in my eyes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny you mention that, Ilyich. I realized awhile ago that the locations, characters and situations in most of the Blackwell games tend to be very "middle class." Lots of apartments, offices, cafes, that kind of thing. One of my personal challenges for Blackwell 5 is to step out of that comfort zone a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool. I really like the staircase screen. I think the composition/angle is very good. I have been pondering staircase layouts a bit and this one is great. Might steal it some day...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always love seeing these background details and in-progress works! And, like the commentary in the games, I love that you share these thoughts and assets with us. Can't wait to play it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. May I please drool a bit on the corner here?

    Why, thanks Dave! You are indeed too kind :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes! I'm really looking forward to it! Can't wait! I think every Blackwell game was better than the previous, so this is good news indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I played Resonance, won it on a site called thegamecast.net, I liked it a lot. I am very interested in Primordia, since I like SF. I plan to write a review for Resonance on my new blog, which is derangedgamer.blogspot.ro . I would also like to review Primordia. I wanted to ask for a review code directly from wormwood but I can't find any contact email. I am restarting my indie journalism activity.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohh, I'm sooo looking forward to this. The Blackwell story just kept getting better and better, and the Blackwell series was what drew us to Wadjet Eye in the first place. Plus the ongoing arc-plot really started hotting up with the final lines of the last one, so... MAKE THIS HAPPEN! :D Or to put it another way... shutupandtakemymoney.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for making another one. Best game ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Out of all the adventure games that I play the Blackwell series is one of my top fave's. I guess there is a personal flavor to it that is rare to find in most of the other games out there. Can't wait for the next installment!

    ReplyDelete
  14. MAN, how I miss Rosangela and Joey... "Blackwell Epiphany" sounds awesome!! Can't wait to buy the thing and then play part 1 to 5 in a row. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Out of all the adventure games that I play the Blackwell series is one of my top fave's. I guess there is a personal flavor to it that is rare to find in most of the other games out there. Can't wait for FFXI GIL the next installment!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Addicting games was great category, i am sad becasuse for 10 years its empty on nice games

    ReplyDelete